Not watching the Super Bowl this year. Curmudgeon, contrarian, Patriots aren’t in it, fair weather fan, check all the boxes. The NFL sucks. It’s a millionaire’s club where the rich get richer, the hypocrisy gets more hypocritical and my conscience can’t take it anymore. The owners don’t care about anything but making more money. They don’t care about the players, they don’t care about the fans. The quality of the game stinks. I’m a hypocrite too. I would watch and root like crazy if the Patriots were there, but they’re not and I am choosing to do other things.
- I hate the Broncos and Cam Newton. Denver has been traditionally the dirtiest team in the league. For years their line has gone after guys knees. TJ Ward along with that schmuck linebacker from Cincinnati are the dirtiest players in the league. Peyton Manning was a great QB and this is his last rodeo. That doesn’t mean I’m a fan of his. Hope he throws 3 picks and secures his legacy of being the NFL’s Mr. October. That being said, Cam Newton doesn’t have an impulsive bone in his body. Everything is choreographed like it’s a Britney Spears concert at Planet Hollywood. Great player, but a fraud. Hey Cam, jump up and down on the sideline while the camera is on. Don’t forget to jump in the defensive huddle during the 2 minute warning. There is an 8 year old at 11 o’clock in the south end zone and a 9 year old at high noon in the north. Hand them the football when you score. Don’t forget to rehearse your touchdown dance in the mirror after practice. Can there be no winners? Then again, with the Broncos going for a record 5th Super Bowl loss and Peyton Manning being 1-3 makes it a little easier to swallow a Panther title. I actually accepted the Patriot losing, didn’t lock myself in my room, was fine with it. Denver is the better team.
- CTE and the lack of concern for former players. It was discovered this week that Ken Stabler had CTE. The owners may have protected the shield, but didn’t take care of their own. Ex-players committing suicides, crippled (watch Earl Campbell try to move around), joint replacements. How many guys are suffering in silence that you never hear about? The owners don’t care. Sure they settled on a lawsuit, and you know they got out on the cheap. What about today’s players? Owners wanted an 18 game schedule. Thankfully, it hasn’t happened, and Thursday night games which you cannot possibly recover from if you last game was 4 days prior. Vince McMahon’s WWE has more credibility than the NFL at this point.
- Super Bowl ads. Never watch them, never will. Nice investment in your product that no one will buy. Go what? Bud Light sucks, and so did the Bud Bowl. My brother threw me under the bus and my father bought me a case of Bud Light when I went to FL. Not wanting to be an ungrateful son, I smiled and choked it down on the beach.
- Bad halftime acts. Now the owners are rumored to be asking acts to pay for the right to perform in the future. From a money making standpoint brilliant. This year we have Coldplay, Beyonce and the Prince wannabe Bruno Mars. With Lady Gaga, who like a bad case of herpes, is returning to sing the National Anthem. Is it me or does Beyonce seem like she has some mental issues? If you’ve seen the Nets game video, you’ll know what I’m talking about, completely spaced out. Coldplay is fine I guess, I kind of like/can tolerate them. Though Chris Martin loses points has for procreating not with 1, but 2 annoying, obnoxious Oscar winning ugly blondes. You’re a front man of one of the top 10 music acts in the world, you can do better. Heard way too much Bruno Mars in CA and it was the bad Bruno Mars, his slow songs from 2 or 3 years ago, not his good fast stuff. Got carpel tunnel syndrome pressing the buttons on the car radio to turn him off.
- The announcers. Not going to listen to the Peyton Manning water boy Jim Nantz try to wax poetic about the old gunslinger riding off into the sunset with sounds of Omaha dancing through our heads. And Phil Simms adding nothing to the broadcast, which I can honestly say is better than Troy Aikman. The good news is old Carl Yastrzemski faced Erin Andrews won’t be the sideline reporter. “Hey you guys, tell me about the touchdown…”
- The quality of play is terrible. Between the ticky-tack holding/pass interference fouls, instant replay, and injuries, there is no flow to the game. TD, field goal, commercial, kickoff into end zone, take a knee commercial. 5 seconds left in quarter, injury, commercial, one play, commercial. For the Carolina/Seattle game, I didn’t start watching the game until 75 minutes after it started. Caught up fast forwarding through all the commercials and halftime with 2 minutes left. Guys have had two weeks off, but is that enough to fully recover from 5 months of weekly beatings? Like a heavyweight fight, feeling each other out, shaking off the rust/loosening up.
- No squares or prop bets for me. Finished second in fantasy football, had league high 5 times, so made my $300 in gambling for the year. Is there anything worse than having a 5 for the first three quarters in squares? 50 to 1 odds Peyton Manning’s first pass won’t be a wounded duck shot out of the sky.
- No Super Bowl parties, bad chicken wings, or dips. Going to start a fire, bust out some Glenlivet 15, have a nice dinner and wine, and maybe watch Downton Abbey, maybe play the piano, which was something I decided to commit to this year and have stuck with it. Make it to the gym on Monday.
Great idea having it at Levi Stadium. Good climate, outdoors, not too hot or cold. Though there have been complaints from how the city of San Francisco had been shut down with all the festivities on Market Street. They should have put the festivities, on Ellis or O’Farrell, smack dab in the middle of the Tenderloin district. Last month, I actually walked through there to go to a kettlebell gym on Van Ness and lived to tell about it. I didn’t get accosted once. Must have been my steely eyed Clint Eastwood “don’t fuck with me” glare and determined stride. (yeah, right) What a war zone, good grief.
Workout summary. Made up my own 5 x 5 with the barbell and made great progress. Was doing 5 x 5 with 325 on the squat, 1 x 5 x 315 with the deadlift. Doing 6 sets of 4 presses with double 70 kettlebells. Did 200 snatches in 16 minutes with a 55. Basically setting PR’s all over the place. Was in the best shape of my life, hanging at 190 having put on about 5 lbs. of muscle. What I failed to do was take any time off and then in December started getting injured. Was doing 20 steep hill sprints in a session and one of my calves started tugging. That day, went to play tennis on a 60 degree December day. Went to hit a backhand to my son, POP, down I went. Took a week to heal, but still couldn’t play soccer for 2 weeks. Just after Christmas, woke up with a sore lower lumbar. Took 2 days off, went to gym, did a warmup set of deadlifts with 185, and strained it. I got into my car and had to arch my back while driving. Why? because I try to take time off every 3 months and was at the four and a half month mark. Stupid, you schedule a deload so you won’t have to deload.
Thankfully it got better in 2 days. A little Naproxyn and rest took care of the problem. I never take Advil or Aleve, unless absolutely necessary. But I was getting on a plane to San Francisco in 4 days and was worried how a six and half hour trek sitting on a plane would treat me. Thankfully all got back to normal and I did some light lifting and running out there. Maybe three times. My wife joined me for the second year in a row and we went back up to Sonoma to this lovely inn in Healdsburg. So while up there did nothing except lifting a glass of wine or a fork to my mouth. I had about 9 out of 12 days off to recover.
Although I had great success with the 5 x 5, I’ve dialed down the intensity and am doing 5/3/1 two days a week. Kettlebells 3 days a week. Doing More Kettelbell Muscle’s Basic Program and Jerk Work. For the Basic, using 45’s, for Jerk Work, 55’s on light and medium day, 45’s on heavy day. Can’t do double snatches in a chain format with 55’s. Playing soccer once a week. No hoop, too many guys and I’m not playing sideways on half moon backboards with tight 1972 single rims. 4 on 4 on a 70 foot court is a broken cheek bone waiting to happen. Hit PRs last week on the squat, 305 x 10, the deadlift 315 x 6, barbell military press 115 x 10, bench 170 x 10. Still in great shape, hanging around 191, fasting for 36-40 hours once a week. Can’t really complain about life, just feel locked in personally, physically and professionally.
Don’t ask me what I thought of the game, because like the Oscars, I’m not watching. Ears covered, eyes shut and NA NA NA NA, I can’t hear or see you.